There are no products listed under this category.
Sour candy contrasts well with regular 'sweet' candy. Most sour candy has sweetness in it but sports a coating or sanding of sour sugar. Simply having sour candy in a bowl on your table, at your desk, in your business, will start lively Pucker up! conversations. Gumballs.com carries quite a range of sour candies, enough to appeal to a wide range of palates, from the sweetest to the crankiest among us!!!.
What Makes Sour Candy Sour?
The sourness in sour candy occurs due to a combination of several possible ingredients, as outlined below:
- The main supplier of sour kick is citric acid - it's a naturally occurring substance in citrus fruits. It also prevents food from spoiling and also helps artificially colored foods maintain their appearance. Citric acid comprises a great deal of the ingredients in sour candy.
- Malic acid is found in nature most commonly in green apples. In large quantities, it makes candy really sour!
- Fumaric acid allows the sourness from citric and malic acids to endure longer than they would under normal circumstances
- Cinnamaldehyde is an oil naturally occurring in cinnamon. Isolated and concentrated, it makes a really sour concoction.
- Eating sour foods triggers a response in the taste buds, which release chemical compounds that then send a message to the brain. There, serotonin—a mood-regulating compound that also aids in appetite and sleep—is released. In other words, serotonin helps the tongue, nerves, and brain all understand that the sour candy is, in fact, “sour.”